Who can access Charter House, Burnley?

Charter House is a not for profit community interest company providing day care for elderly people, people with dementia and adults with learning disabilities or special needs.

Our multi sensory room is available for people of all ages and abilities. Sensory room sessions are booked on an an hourly basis. You will need to book a session so please call in advance if you would like to use our sensory room.

We accept both privately funded and social care direct payments.


We are here to help

The team here at Charter House Burnley have extensive experience in accessing day care services.
We can help guide you through your options and the steps you need to undertake to access our services.


Can I come for a visit?

We welcome you to come and look around our centre and our facilities.

Call today to arrange your visit.

We also invite you to use our centre as a meeting space for you and your social worker by arrangement.

How do I pay for day care?

Currently people with savings of more than £23,250 are not eligible for funding from the local council to access social care services. If you have savings of more than £23,250 you need to pay privately for access to Charter House, Burnley.

For those with savings of less than £23,250 you are eligible to access social care funding via Council provided ‘personal budgets’ and direct payments.

Direct payments and personal budgets


What is a personal budget?

A personal budget is the amount of money the local council will pay towards the social care and support you need.

Carers budget

If you’re a carer, you may be entitled to receive a personal budget after having a carer’s assessment.

Receiving your personal budget

You can ask the council to either:

  • manage your personal budget on your behalf

  • pay the money to a care provider

  • pay the money directly to you or someone you choose – this is known as a direct payment.

How to apply

You will be offered direct payments as an option after your needs assessment.
You can also speak to the relevant Council Social Care service or ask us for advice.

Using direct payments

Direct payments give you flexibility over how your care and support is arranged and provided.
We can offer help and advice with this process.